Many disagreements can be avoided or resolved early by using skills that promote collaboration. These skills include active listening, framing issues in a neutral fashion, “I” statements and brainstorming.
SEMS offers workshops on the following subjects:
- Dispute Resolution Options in Special Education
- Conflict Resolution and Communication in Special Education
- Discipline for Students with Disabilities
- Effective IEP Team Meeting Participation Techniques
- How to Develop Trusting Relationships Between Families and Schools
- How to Communicate with the Most Challenging Personalities
These workshops are provided at no cost to any organization that serves students with disabilities. The hosting organization arranges the location, promotion, registration, and refreshments. SEMS provides the materials and trainers.
Note: The listed topics may contain duplicated information if combined. We will customize a workshop based on your group's availability, interests, and learner objectives.
To schedule a workshop, complete and submit the following form.
Recent publications and videos from the Center for Appropriate Dispute Resolution in Special Education (CADRE) and other research organizations can help families and educators understand and prepare for collaborative dispute resolution.